How do I get the Timeline Profile?
Timeline Profile officially announced
Recently Facebook have announced that they will be introducing a brand new face lift to the website known as Timeline or the Timeline Profile. The Timeline Profile promises to give a whole new look to the typical profile layout that we have seen change slightly over the years. The introduction of a Cover Photo is one of the main features in the Timeline Profile theme (more features are explained in this article). The Cover Photo which can be described as a banner image is a large image that is displayed at the very top of the Timeline Profile. It is a visual identification of the profile at first glance and will most definately be used by companies on fan pages and the like to impact their brand.
The Timeline Profile has been released to Facebook developers while they fine tune it and make sure it is ready for their entire users base. The fortunate thing is, becoming a Facebook developer is not a difficult process and entirely free, although it is not straight forward. So if you would like the Timeline Profile theme, you can either wait until it is publically launched, or skip the waiting process and signup as a developer and follow the instructions further below.
Facebook are continuing to provide the best social network on the internet and they’ve dominated the social market since the very begining and continue to lead and stand ahead of the rest. There is no denying that as a social network site, they have integrated features from twitter as well as implementing video sharing with YouTube and Vevo, as well as audio sharing with Spotify.
Things to notice about the Timeline Profile
If you are impatient, and you really would like the Timeline Profile theme, you should be aware that their maybe bugs with the new profile (after all, this is why it is only being released to developers to start with). Also, another thing to note is that once you have the Timeline Profile theme, only you will be able to see it (not your friends). However shortly afterwards, Facebook will activate your timeline so that your friends are able to see your new snazy Timeline Profile theme.
We have noticed that if you use Facebook on another machine, the Timeline is disabled! Very annoying, I agree, but again, this is in development. You can however get back to your timeline which will involve following the instructions below after navigating to http://www.facebook.com/YOURUSERNAMEHERE?sk=timeline first.
Lastly to successfully get the Timeline Profile theme and be a Facebook Developer, you will need to have a “verified” account for one of the steps, which means you need a credit card or phone number attached to the account. There are no charges made to your card, this is simply a way for Facebook to validate that you are who you say you are.
Instructions on how to enable the Timeline Profile
- Log into Facebook
- Enable developer mode, if you haven’t already. To do this, type “developer” into the Facebook search box, click the first result (it should be an app made by Facebook with a few hundred thousand users), and add the app.
- Jump into the developer app (if Facebook doesn’t put you there automatically, it should be in your left-hand tool bar)
- Create a new app (don’t worry — you wont actually be submitting this for anyone else to see/use). Give your shiny new app any display name and namespace you see fit. Read through and agree to the Platform Privacy agreement. This is the step you need to be verified for.
- Ensure you’re in your new app’s main settings screen. You should see your app’s name near the top of the page
- Look for the “Open Graph” header, and click the “Get Started using open graph” link.
Create a test action for your app, like “read” a “book”, or “eat” a “sandwich”
- This should drop you into an action type configuration page. Change a few of the default settings (I changed the past tense of “read” to “redd” — again, only you can see this unless you try and submit your application to the public directory), and click through all three pages of settings
- Wait 2-3 minutes
- Go back to your Facebook home screen. An invite to try Timeline should be waiting at the top of the page
You’re done! We’ve seen this work quite a few times now, so it should work without a hitch for just about anyone.
Add a cover photo to your Timeline Profile and show your friends
Once you have your Timeline theme up and running, go ahead and navigate through CoverPhotoLibrary.com and choose yourself a awesome cover photo. Read this article on how to change your cover photo and show off to your friends.